Last Updated: August 2017
Finding an efficient wood stove for RV camper, cabin, or tiny house can be a grueling task with excessive research required. Heating a small area should be convenient and inexpensive, and the ideal solution should be easy to purchase. We built this site with you in mind, and spent hours researching some of the best ways to heat small spaces. Extra tiny log heaters have gained immense popularity over the past several years because of their convenience and money saving value. With tons of options on the market, we’re going to help you find the one that is right for you!
|Product Name||EPA Certification||Heat Radius||Our Rating||Price||Use In:|
|Dickinson Marine Newport||Yes||1,000 Square ft.||$$||Boat & RV|
|Vogelzang Tr001 Defender Stove||Yes, 75% Efficiency||1,200 Square ft.||$$$||Home & Cabin|
|Pleasant Hearth||Yes, 85% Efficiency||2,200 Square ft.||$$$$||Home, Cabin, & RV|
|Hi-Flame FF-905 Shetland||Yes||800 Square ft.||$$$$||Home & Cabin|
Top Rated Stoves: Cabin, RV, Boat, and Tiny House
#1 Dickinson Marine Newport Solid Fuel (Boat and RV)
This unit is one of the smallest wood heaters available on the market. As a result, it is a great option for boat use or any other confined space. The Dickinson Newport is built to last for decades with proper maintenance and quickly provides warmth. Installation is simple, because it only requires 3” diameter chimney parts as well as a minimum 4ft chimney. For fuel, this model burns one to two one inch thick wood or pesto logs, and a handful of charcoal briquettes or coal. It does NOT burn marine stove fuel. Reviewers love the flexibility in fuel choice, and the consistently reliable heat output. It also comes equipped with a removable ash drawer and damper control for easy cleaning. The Newport Solid Fuel is the smallest and most economical in the rv category. Be sure to check out our full Dickinson Newport Solid Fuel Wood Stove Review.
Usage in a Camper or RV
Although developed for marine usage this machine is excellent in small spaces like portable homes, etc. The usage of solid fuel makes it convenient, and the fact that it doesn’t burn you if you touch the outside (protective metal exterior) is a big benefit for those worried about mistakenly burning themselves in the confined environment.
Below is a video by Matt Stohrer who provides a look into the Dickerson he installed in his Airstream mobile home.
- Product Dimensions: 10 x 7.9 x 15.6 inches ; 12.6 lbs.
- Non-rust, stainless steel build, safe, reliable, and clean
- Heat Output: Low: 3000 BTU, High: 8000 BTU
- Decorative laser cut door
- Creates a dry heat to dry out moisture inside room
#2 Hi-Flame Shetland (Home, Cabin)
A perennial favorite on this site, this European style model features state of the art wood burning energy efficiency. The Shetland is a small cast iron unit that provides a substantial amount of heat for its size. It is sturdily built, easy to install, heats up quickly, and maintains warmth for awhile.The end result of these features is a little product that does its job while looking great and earning rave reviews from friends and family. Keep your cabin and home cozy warm year-round in-style with this beautiful mini log heater.
- Product Dimensions: 17 x 18 x 24 inches ; 174 lbs.
- Overall Efficiency: 85%
- Heats up to 800 square feet
- Accepts logs up to 12”: 6” flue
- Up to 21,000 BTUs
#3 Vozelgang Defender (Home, Cabin)
A trusty presence on this website, the Vozelgang Defender is a gorgeous steel plated log burner. A sturdy cast iron door with air washed ceramic glass provides a fantastic view of the fire that will flourish in any setting. This unit has a dual mechanism burning process that results in a highly efficient burn . This means you will extract the maximum amount of heat from your fuel (ie. longer burn times). We love the large viewing window and the fact that this unit has a 100 CFM (cubic fee per minute) blower fan that helps circulate the air. All in all, it is a reliable choice.
How it Works: The burn mechanism
Here is a brief overview, if you were confused about the Defender’s internal processes. Air flows through the primary inlet at the front, and immediately ignites the wood. Next, air is fed to the top through a secondary air inlet at the rear of the product. As a result, there is air igniting from the top and the bottom which evenly consumes the fuel.
- Product Dimensions: 21 x 23.5 x 28 inches ; 260 lbs.
- Heats up to 1,200 square feet
- Accepts logs up to 17” in length
- Adjustable high speed (100 CFM) blower (optional)
- Up to 68,000 BTUs
#4 Pleasant Hearth (Home, Cabin, RV)
An Amazon favorite, this luxurious model is sure to warm your home with effective and efficient indoor heating. The Pleasant Hearth has a wide heating area, variable speed blower, and is approved for use in mobile homes. This unit is one of the best recommendations partially due to the small amount of assembly required. Pleasant Hearths come equipped with a brick lined firebox, chrome candles, and an automatic air wash system that cleans the big glass window. A 5 year warranty is also tossed in to give you that final layer of security. This is truly a value proposition, and should be a prime consideration for those looking for an affordable and well made machine for their compact house or camper.
Note about mobile home usage: You will have to buy a separate air intake, which can be found online
- Product Dimensions: 22.5 x 22.5 x 31.5 inches ; 277 lbs.
- Heats up to 1,200 square feet
- Up to 50,000 BTUs
- Mobile Home Approved
- Includes blower for quiet, yet powerful heat distribution
Let’s examine some of the perks…
- Affordability: Mini wood burners have low operating costs and deliver a tremendous amount of heat to cabins, small rooms, and even boats.
- Quick Heat: the heat takes only a few minutes to get fully going, compared to some ventilation systems that can take substantially longer.
- Backup System: Little burners offer an essential backup to any existing heating systems.In case of a power outage, your rustic heater keeps you and your family warm and comfortable. The technology has advanced to the point where these mini miracles are powerfully efficient, and capable of burning very cleanly. This is great for people who place a premium on using environmentally friendly products.
- Ambiance: Log burners supply a cozy, homely ambiance that truly serves to attract people to your domain. There’s a reason there’s so many pictures of these beauties on pinterest.
- Cooking: Tiny portable woodstoves also come armed with a cooking surface. Incredibly, you have the ability to heat water and prepare meals on them. This may hearken back to the pioneer days, but it can be a quaint experiment once in a while. NOTE: We do not advise surface cooking, but it is technically a possibility.
Tiny stoves offer an affordable and sustainable way to keep you and your family warm this winter season. No longer will you suffer through the cold in your cabin or live in fear of the power going out in your cozy home. These products are efficient, reliable, and deliver the same ambiance of a fireplace minus the space concerns. This best of the best list was intended to provide some perspective. Weigh out the advantages and disadvantages each model presents along with your personal preferences-and make your final decision. You can’t go wrong with any of the options above, so don’t strain yourself trying to pick one. If you would like to learn more then we encourage you to visit our home page at http://bestsmallwoodstove.com