Last Updated: July 2017
Finding an efficient wood stove for RV camper, cabin, or tiny house can be a grueling task with excessive research required. Heating a small area of space should be convenient and inexpensive, and the ideal solution should be easy to purchase. We built this site with you in mind, and spent hours researching some of the best ways to heat a small house or space. Extra small wood burning stoves have gained immense popularity over the past several years because of their convenience and money saving value. With tons of stoves on the market, we’re going to help you find the one that is best for you!
|Product Name||EPA Certification||Heat Radius||Our Rating||Price||Use In:|
|Pleasant Hearth Wood Stove||Yes, 85% Efficiency||2,200 Square ft.||$$$$||Home, Cabin, & RV|
|Vogelzang Tr001 Defender Stove||Yes, 75% Efficiency||1,200 Square ft.||$$$||Home & Cabin|
|Hi-Flame FF-905 Shetland||Yes||800 Square ft.||$$$$||Home & Cabin|
|Dickinson Marine Newport||Yes||1,000 Square ft.||$$||Boat & RV|
Best Wood Stoves: Cabin, RV, Boat, and Tiny House
#1 Dickinson Marine Newport Solid Fuel (Boat and RV)
This unit is one of the smallest wood burning stoves available on the market. As a result, it is one of the best mini wood stoves for boat use or any confined space for that matter. The Dickinson Newport is built to last for decades with proper maintenance and quickly provides warmth to your tiny space. This small wood stove requires 3” diameter chimney parts as well as a minimum 4ft chimney. For fuel, this stove burns one to two one inch thick wood or pesto logs, and a handful of charcoal briquettes or coal. It does NOT burn marine stove fuel. Reviewers love the flexibility in fuel choice, and the consistently reliable heat output. It also comes equipped with a removable ash drawer and damper control for easy cleaning. The Newport Solid Fuel wood stove is the smallest and most economical in the rv wood stove category.
Usage in a Camper or RV
Although developed for marine usage this stove is excellent in small spaces like portable homes, etc. The usage of solid fuel makes it convenient, and the fact that it doesn’t burn you if you touch the outside (protective metal exterior) is a big benefit for those worried about mistakenly touching the stove in the confined environment.
Below is a video by Matt Stohrer who provides a look into the Dickerson he installed in his Airstream mobile home.
- Product Dimensions: 10 x 7.9 x 15.6 inches ; 12.6 lbs.
- Non-rust, stainless steel build, safe, reliable, and clean
- Heat Output: Low: 3000 BTU, High: 8000 BTU
- Decorative laser cut door
- Creates a dry heat to dry out moisture inside room
#2 Hi-Flame Shetland Wood Stove (Home, Cabin)
A perennial favorite on this site, this European style extra small wood stove features state of the art wood burning energy efficiency. The Shetland is a small cast iron wood burning stove that provides a substantial amount of heat for its size. This small stove is easy to install and use, sturdy, and heats fast and maintains it for long durations. High quality is the only way to describe this ingenious piece of equipment. The end result of these features is a product that does it’s job while looking great and earning rave reviews from friends and families. Keep your cabin and small home warm year-round in-style with this beautiful mini wood stove.
- Product Dimensions: 17 x 18 x 24 inches ; 174 lbs.
- Overall Efficiency: 85%
- Heats up to 800 square feet
- Accepts logs up to 12”: 6” flue
- Up to 21,000 BTUs
#3 Vozelgang Defender EPA Wood Stove (Home, Cabin)
A trusty presence on this website, the Vozelgang Defender is a gorgeous steel plated wood burning stove. A sturdy cast iron door with air washed ceramic glass provides a fantastic view of the fire that will flourish in any setting. This stove has a dual mechanisms burning process that results in the most efficient way of burning wood. This means you will extract the maximum amount of heat from your wood fuel (ie. longer burn times). We love the large viewing window, and the fact that this unit has a 100 CFM (cubic fee per minute) blower fan that helps circulate the air. All in all, it is a reliable choice.
How it Works: The burn mechanism
Here is a brief overview, if you were confused about the Defender’s burning style. Air flows through the primary inlet at the front of the stove that immediately ignites the wood. Next, air is fed to the top of the stove through a secondary air inlet at the rear of the wood stove. As a result, there is air igniting the top and the bottom of the stove which consumes the wood.
- Product Dimensions: 21 x 23.5 x 28 inches ; 260 lbs.
- Heats up to 1,200 square feet
- Accepts logs up to 17” in length
- Adjustable high speed (100 CFM) blower (optional)
- Up to 68,000 BTUs
#4 Pleasant Hearth Small Wood Stove (Home, Cabin, RV)
An Amazon favorite, this luxurious tiny wood stove is sure to warm your home with effective and efficient indoor heating. The Pleasant Hearth has a wide heating area, variable speed blower, and is approved for use in mobile homes. This unit is one of the best recommendations partially due to the small amount of assembly required. Pleasant Hearth stoves come equipped with a brick lined firebox, chrome candles, and an automatic air wash system that cleans the big glass window. A 5 year warranty also accompanies your purchase of this wood stove. This is truly a value proposition, and should be a prime consideration for those looking for an affordable and well made wood stove for their tiny house or camper.
Note about mobile home usage: You will have to buy a separate air intake, which can be found online
- Product Dimensions: 22.5 x 22.5 x 31.5 inches ; 277 lbs.
- Heats up to 1,200 square feet
- Up to 50,000 BTUs
- Mobile Home Approved
- Includes blower for quiet, yet powerful heat distribution
Benefits of a Tiny Wood Stove
First, let’s take a look at the advantages of a tiny wood stove….
- Affordability: Mini wood burning stoves have low operating costs and deliver a tremendous amount of heat to cabins, small rooms, and even boats.
- Quick Heat: the heat takes only a few minutes to get fully going, compared to some ventilation systems that can take substantially longer.
- Backup System: Small wood/pellet burning stoves offer an essential backup to any existing heating systems.In case of a power outage, your tiny wood stove keeps you and your family warm and comfortable. The technology has advanced to the point where these mini stoves are powerfully efficient, and capable of burning very cleanly. This is great for people who place a premium on using environmentally friendly products.
- Ambiance: Small wood burning stoves for tiny houses supply a homely ambiance that truly serves to attract people to your home. There’s a reason there’s so many pictures of these units on pinterest.
- Cooking: Tiny portable woodstoves also come armed with a cooking surface. Incredibly, you have the ability to heat water and prepare meals with a small wood burning stove. This may hearken back to the pioneer days, but it can be a quaint experiment once in a while.
Tiny stoves offer an affordable and sustainable way to keep you and your family warm this winter season. No longer will you suffer through the cold in your cabin or live in fear of the power going out in your cozy home. These products are efficient, reliable, and deliver the same ambiance of wood burning fireplace minus the space concerns. The list of the best tiny wood stoves for tiny houses is intended to provide some perspective. Weigh out the advantages and disadvantages each stove presents along with your personal preferences-and make your final decision. You can’t go wrong with any of the stoves above, so don’t strain yourself trying to pick one. If you would like to learn more about small wood stoves, visit our home page at http://bestsmallwoodstove.com